Launched at the 1933 London Olympia Motor Show, the M45 was to set new standards for the Lagonda marque. Utilising the strong, powerful Meadows 4 ½ Litre engine also found in the Invicta, a great breadth of coachwork was available from the heavy four door saloon to a rakish two seater sports.
Originally a saloon bodied M45, as with so many of its brethren, by the 1970s the heavy coachwork had been removed and the rolling chassis awaited restoration. Alan Brown, the well-known Lagonda specialist and regular competitor, rebuilt the rolling chassis with the intention of building a racing car. However, other projects forestalled the plan, and the current owner purchased it from Alan in 2007. As an artist, he had a very particular idea as to how he wished the body to look, penning the design himself. Now finished in Royal Blue with an oxblood red interior, the quality of the work is to a very high standard.
Having recently enjoyed a trip to Silverstone in the Lagonda for the VSCC Spring Start, we can confirm that it is a great driving example of the M45, offering a good turn of speed combined with surprisingly nimble handling.