- Eligible for the Mille Miglia, Goodwood, Monaco and Le Mans Classic
- Fitted with a Cadillac engine from almost new
- Home Market example
- Period Competition History
- Zero hours engine, ready to go
The Allard J2 model was announced in 1949 to much acclaim, and achieved early racing success in both the UK and America. Just 99 cars were built over a period of eighteen months, the competition-orientated J2 two-seater employed Allard’s trademark independently suspended ‘split’ front axle and a De Dion rear end with inboard brakes. Like the vast majority of production Allards, the J2 used Ford and Mercury components, these being readily obtainable from Ford in the UK. Importing engines such as Cadillac’s powerful new overhead-valve V8 into Britain was prohibitively expensive. As such, it was common for cars to be exported to the USA to be fitted with the customer’s choice of engine on arrival. With a Cadillac engine installed the Allard J2 was more than a match for any contemporary sports car in a straight line, Jaguar’s XK120 included. The majority of J2s produced ended up in the USA where they were raced with considerable success, dominating SCCA events.
Delivered on 26th January 1950 to the Allard dealership ‘Tate of Leeds’, MWE 254 was the tenth car off the J2 production line and a rare Home Market example. It was sold to Mr Maurice Wilde in April 1950, originally fitted with a standard Ford Mercury V8. Wilde – an enthusiastic racer – installed the previously unobtainable and very desirable new Cadillac OHV V8. Throughout 1950 and 1951 he contended many events with the J2 with some success, including a podium finish at Croft in August 1950 behind winner and works Allard driver Frank Curtis.
A friend of Wilde, Grand Prix racer T.C. Harrison (known as Cuth) was invited to drive on occasions, including Gamston, where he finished third. In addition, the car was entered for the RAC Tourist trophy at Dundrod, where in appalling weather conditions during practice, Cuth decided not to place the car on the grid.
Shortly afterwards Wilde sold the car to Mr Norman Woodhouse, and subsequent owners were Mr Arthur Welton and Mr Malcolm Dungworth. In 1964, Dungworth competed in various hill climb events with a class win at Harewood and a team win at Shelsey Walsh. Dungworth sold the car to Mr Paul Hope, before in the late 1960s Brian Classic sold MWE 254 to Mr Terry Bennett, who took the car to the USA. It would remain in the USA until 1987 when it was repatriated and purchased by Nick Mason’s Ten Tenths Collection and supposedly raced by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame.
MWE 254 was later owned by notable racing driver and motor dealer Frank Sytner, followed by Mr Arthur Kelly and Mr Malcolm Verey, who prepared the car for the Mille Miglia. In the care of its current owner, the car as has been subject to a complete overhaul and renovation by regarded Allard experts RW Racing Services Ltd. Having been shaken down on track, the J2 has seen little use since.
Restored to be equally suited to racing and road use, the Allard has recent FIA HTP papers along with a FIVA Identity Card. Present with the car is a detachable roll-cage, set of steel wheels and hubs, large diameter Allard steering wheel, spare wheel carrier and most importantly in addition to the 4 speed Moss gearbox as fitted, a rare 3 speed La Salle gearbox and propshaft essential for FIA regulations. Further more MWE 254 benefits from a fresh ‘Zero Hours’ engine rebuild by RW Racing Services and is absolutely on the button ready to use.
This rare and important J2 is a highly eligible entry to the most prestigious historic racing events such as Mille Miglia, Goodwood Revival, Monaco Historic Grand Prix and Classic Le Mans. There are very few cars as competitive, usable, eligible and affordable as an Allard J2.