Sydney Allard, a hugely talented engineer and a true motorsports enthusiast, built many Ford based specials under his own name before the war, most of which were powered by the phenomenally successful flathead V8. Allard’s contribution to the war effort was running a repair shop for military vehicles and by 1945 he had amassed a large quantity of Ford spares, a factor that ensured he seamlessly progressing from military repair work to the manufacture of civilian cars.
Various models were released – the most famous being the J2 & J2X for their competition success – but it was the M Type Roadster that proved to be one of the most popular with almost 500 built. The pronounced wings, the curved grill and the long bonnet line were distinctly Allard. Built between 1947 and 1950, despite their larger than life appearance, period reviews noted a good power to weight ratio that offered surprising performance. Naturally, the 3.6 Litre Ford V8 Flat Head was the standard engine for the U.K. market.
It is generally agreed that only 3 M Types were built as a closed Coupe, of which only two survive, this example being one of them. It was sold new to the UK, staying close to the Allard workshops in Clapham for many years. The first owner eventually sold the car to his uncle, who lived in Canada, and so its life overseas began. By 2001 it was in a very dilapidated state, and an Allard enthusiast managed to save it. He completed a thorough restoration over a two year period.
Since then, it has appeared in numerous Concours events in the USA, winning the Best in Class award in the 2012 Glemore Gathering, a second in class at the Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance in 2013 and a First in Class at the Milwaukee Master Piece Concours the same year. In 2014, the Allard returned to Britain after an invite from Goodwood to exhibit at the Earls Court Motor Show tribute during the Revival.
A beautifully restored, exceptionally rare example of an unusual British marque.